Had pyelonephritis. Taking cipro and tylenol for fever. Sign of reoccurring pyelonephritis?

Jul 2016

My 7 year old had pyelonephritis about 2 months ago. She had no symptoms other than a high fever for days. The doctor put her on cipro for 10 days. She was sent home from school yesterday with a high fever. It is basically the same as last time. No other symptoms. Her fever goes slightly above 104 when the tylenol and motrin starts to wear off and stays around 100 all other times. I'm concerned that it is pylonephritis again and possible renal scarring. Is twice in 2 months normal for a seven year old?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 29 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted, it appears that your 7 years old daughter had high fever 2 months back and has repeated episode of fever again on yesterday.

It will be better if you provide few more details to comment on her problem.

1) was her Urine culture done and what were the findings?
2) Does she have any Urinary symptoms associated with fever?
3) Does she get high fever repeatedly over a period of last 7 years?
Getting high fever repeatedly in female child has to be thought of seriously to rule out any congenital Urinary pathology like VU (VesicoUreteric reflux).

Please consult qualified Urologist for assessment. She needs to undergo certain investigations like D.M.S.A scan and M.C.U.*(Micturating Cystourthrogram.)

Hope I have answered your query. Awaiting your response.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Had pyelonephritis. Taking cipro and tylenol for fever. Sign of reoccurring pyelonephritis? 45 minutes later
Thank you for your response. They did do a urine culture but the doctor just told me that there was bacteria in it. The also took blood to check her kidney function which came back normal. She does not have any urinary symptoms. She has not had a high fever repeatedly over the last 7 years. She has always been a very healthy girl until 2 months ago. We have an appointment with her pediatrician tomorrow. Is it possible they may put her in the hospital since this is the second time around? Also, should I get a second opinion if her pediatrician doesn't think she needs a urologist yet? It's only the second time so I'm not completely familiar with what to expect or when it becomes an issue.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later

Thanks for follow up. Based on the facts it appears that she has UTI, which is common in females of this age group and may be treated with antibiotics as per culture report.

Since you already have an appointment with your Pediatrician, you can discuss this with him.

The option of taking second opinion of Urologist is always open.

Thanks with Regards