Had pulmonary embolism. Taking warfarin, heparin and Levitra. Will it be safe to travel by air?

Good morning! I had a pulmonary embolism one month ago and need to fly 9 hours to my destination to work on the 2nd of March although next week on the 27th I am flying 1.45 for a meeting and two days later back to my home. My PT is 34.1 and INR 2.70 and am taking 10mg of it safe to fly? On the 24th of January I was accompanied by a medical doctor from Hanoi to Bangkok by flight as a precautionary measure but nothing unusual was reported. I was given heparin for 10 days (first 5 days am and pm). Also is it safe to use an ED such as Levitra because still want to do that thing.....
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 34 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for asking. When pulmonary embolism happens, one should continue the medication (warfarin or heparin) for 3 to 6 months if there is a risk factor, like a sedentary life style, smoking, using contraceptive pills in ladies, etc. It would be safe to travel with such medications and there is no enhanced risk of bleeding.

There is no drug interaction with Levitra with these medication(s) as well, but you should not take any nitro drugs with Levitra and also if you go to the family doctor to take any antibiotic or antiviral agent or even some antidepressants, etc your doctor should be informed about the issue that you want to use it during the next few weeks.

Your INR level would be perfect if it is kept above two, so your doctor may decrease it a little bit during the next few weeks if your lab test shows that it is possible. I wish you the best health.