Had protected sex with different partner. Getting headache, tired, muscle and joint pain. HIV?

Question
Came back from overseas and had protected sex with 7-8 women. One of them told me she had (6-9 months ago) had sex with HIV positive person. She showed me her negative test results from 3 weeks ago. I assume she is clear.

Anyways, I have come back from my trip (1 week now) and now feel tired, sore muscles and joints, hot and cold sweats and tiredness and headache. Havent seen a fever yet but friends think I may be "hot".

Could it be possible these are symptoms of HIV? Im stressing a little bit. Or could it be I just have the flu. Havent felt like this before. Its as if I have the flu but no cold and sinuses problem and no coughing. Very strange.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Although these symptoms can be due to a viral fever or other causes like vitamin D deficiency, lack of sleep, anemia or thyroid issues; but since you had unprotected intercourse with a women with positive HIV status, hence your HIV status needs to be checked.

The testing for HIV is divided into primary or secondary tests. ELISA is the primary test and if a positive test report comes on ELISA, then it has to be confirmed by a secondary test like western blot. A positive result is confirmed with a second ELISA. If the second ELISA is positive, a Western Blot must be done to ensure that the antibodies detected in the ELISA test are really HIV antibodies.

These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body. So I suggest you to get tests mentioned above for HIV status.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had protected sex with different partner. Getting headache, tired, muscle and joint pain. HIV? 2 minutes later
No I had PROTECTED SEX..not unprotected sex

I WORE CONDOM....

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If the intercourse was protected with no unprotected oral or anal intercourse, then chances of HIV are less likely.

Such symptoms can be due to anemia,viral fever, vitamin D deficinecy, chronic fatigue syndrome,hypothyroidism, disorders of the hypothalamus,psychiatric disorders like depression and sleep-related breathing disorders.

You need to get a complete blood count especially your hemoglobin levels to rule out any anemia, vitamin d levels and your thyroid profile done.

Follow-up: Had protected sex with different partner. Getting headache, tired, muscle and joint pain. HIV? 4 minutes later
I had unprotected oral sex, but no anal.

I checked my penis to make sure there were no cuts or blood coming out.

I read chances are low to get HIV from Oral sex.

Anyways, I saw her test result, she gave it to me when I went to her house because I was freaking out. It was negative. And definitely 6 months had passed.

Im just nervous because of the sweating and tiredness and muscle pain. Just praying it might be something else.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Oral sex with an infected partner carries a small risk of HIV infection and this risk if present if you have bleeding gums or tiny sores or ulcers somewhere in the mouth or on the genitalia , which causes a risk of HIV entering the bloodstream.
Hence chances of HIV transmission are very less in your case. In case you are apprehensive about the status of HIV then you can get investigated for it.

I suggest you to do a rapid HIV test which uses a blood sample or oral fluids and is easy to be done.