Had protected sex, pain during sex, burning urination, urine test showed pus, taken shot for UTI. Reason for symptoms?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
It was just last week, well last Friday since I had sex. We had protected sex and all but the condom would kind of
dry me and I would feel pain during intercourse until i get wet again. After it was done, i didn't have no signs of no irritations until the next day when I went to the restroom to pee. It would burn or sting to pee as if I tore something down there. So I didn't think nothing of it until it kept feeling like that when I used the restroom. So I brought the situation up to the guy that I was with and we both thought it was a bladder infection, but I didn't feel the urge to go every single time. The guy that I was with had got a call from his ex saying he needed to get checked because she was messing with this guy that ended up burning her and I guess whatever happened he gave it to me. So he ended up testing pos for Chlamydia/Gonnorrhea and took me to get checked. We went to the hospital and they got my urine sample and I saw that I had puss in it. They asked me what was going on and I told them. That I had yellow discharge that wasn't really thick or stinky but odorless with burning pee. So they tested my urine and told me I had UTI and since I was expose to STDs they gave me a shot. I don't know what to think. Do you know what my symptoms could have led too? Is this due to the irritation of the condom that dried me out?? Please help!
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

though you had protected intercourse as the chlamydia or/and Gonorrhea can spread by skin to skin contact also that might have led to your infection,
in these conditions urethritis and vaginal infection both can present, that may be responsible for your frequency of urine, pus in urine, vaginal discharge etc,
as you took the shot it is good, both partners to be treated simultaneously for complete cure and better to maintain abstinence or to use barrier methods till completion of treatment,
if you are having irritation with condom, you can change the brand and shift to some other type made up of different material, using lubricant jelly before using condom can help to some extent,
as persistent infection can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease etc complications, you complete the antibiotic course,
don't worry with early and complete treatment the complications and recurrence can be prevented.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, pain during sex, burning urination, urine test showed pus, taken shot for UTI. Reason for symptoms? 2 hours later
I got the shot on Friday, how would I know if my symptoms are gone. I looked down there with a mirror and I wondering could my skin gotten irritated from the condom and left redness or soreness since it burned when I urine before the shot. But after I have gotten the shot it starting to feel as if the burning is going away. Especially when I apply Vagisil on my Vulva. I don't understand how I can be getting or feeling like this. How long do everything clears up including my vagina issue?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later
hi,

when your urinary burning sensation and yellowish vaginal discharge get cleared then it can be said that symptoms decreased,
the redness and soreness of the local parts can be due to contact irritation to condom or it can also be due to the infection, so after taking shot and by applying cream it is decreasing, because vagisil contains benzocaine which will cause soothing effect and also relieve dryness,
it may take around one week for all symptoms to get clear with treatment.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, pain during sex, burning urination, urine test showed pus, taken shot for UTI. Reason for symptoms? 7 hours later
Is there any possible way that I can show you some pictures of what's going on there so that I would know what to do? When I went to the hospital last night I had the nurse to examine me because it felt like cuts down there and she said that there was no lacerations down there or no blood. She pap smeared me and the discharge she said was normal. I looked completely normal and that there were no signs of anything down there. However, I feel it but its not bothering me much now than it was killing me last week before the shot. Could this be something else or than what I am getting treated for or other than the condom irritation?

Thanks for replying and helping me with trying to figure this thing out.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

As you took the shot and using ointment the symptoms might have cleared.
Also if at all there were any cuts they might also cured because of the treatment.
As I told previously your symptoms could be because of sensitivity to condom and/or because of infection.
Anyhow as the symptoms decreased you can take precautions in future which will prevent the recurrence.
If you still want to send the pictures, you can send in the column which will be notified along with your question like,
'Reports and Images :
In case you have reports or images to share with the doctor, you can upload them in the next page.'

Follow-up: Had protected sex, pain during sex, burning urination, urine test showed pus, taken shot for UTI. Reason for symptoms? 6 hours later
Hey, thanks for replying or responding back to my message. I just uploaded to pictures and hopefully you would be able to identify whats going on with me. Could these be Vaginal Fissures or Abrasions? A bacteria of some sort?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later

Your pictures are showing some amount of congestion around the vaginal opening, small punched out lesions and abrasions.
These can be because of condom irritation and can also because of infection.
Punched out lesions are usually seen in herpes infection.
So with you can continue the treatment you are taking and also if needed can go for topical antiviral preparations like acyclovir, docosanol etc with your doctor's advice.

Thanks. Is there anything I can get for that over the counter? And how long do you think this would clear up?
Follow-up: Had protected sex, pain during sex, burning urination, urine test showed pus, taken shot for UTI. Reason for symptoms? 14 minutes later
Also, are you confirming that my pictures are herpes? Because the nurse at the hospital told me that there were no signs of any type. Bleeding or anything. Also, what if they're disappearing with the help of Vagisil and warm bleached bath water? I barely can feel anything even when I urinate now. Only if my clothes are kind of rubbing kind of roughly then I would get like a sting every now and then but definitely no pain. Do you have any thoughts?
Follow-up: Had protected sex, pain during sex, burning urination, urine test showed pus, taken shot for UTI. Reason for symptoms? 1 minute later
There's no signs anywhere else just on that part I showed you.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later

I told herpes as one possibility only because of presence of punched out lesions.
But just by seeing the pictures we cannot confirm the type of infection, for confirmation you have to go for serological evaluation.
Anyhow as at present you are not having any pain, you can just continue Vagisil cream for 3 to 4 days possibly the remaining symptoms will also get cured.
Better to stop using bleached water and clean only with plain lukewarm water, as chemicals also sometimes can cause irritation.