Had protected sex. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What are the risks?

I had protected sex and two weeks later i was supposed to get my period...the day before my period i had the stomach bug and am now 5 days late on my period? Home pregnancy test is negative
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 58 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Assuming that you have regular cycles AND given that this was protected intercourse, the negative test indicates that you are not pregnant.

That being said, the reason for your delayed period remains uncertain. There is no doubt that Illness can have an effect on your cycle. Often this effect is a delay in either when you ovulated and/or when you get your period.

I would recommend repeating the test in one week, by which time my guess is that you will get your period.

Please ask if you have more questions!