Had protected oral sex. Burning sensation over penis. Had ulcer over junction of head. Tested for STD. What can it be?

Question
I had protected oral sex with a sex worker 6 months back following which I had a burningsensation over my pennis ccontinuously over 6 month ..had an ulcer over the junction of the head n shaft which healed over a few days .got tested for all stds at the 6 week mark vdrl negative hiv negative igg hsv 1 n 2 negative .what can it be
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some information before I can help sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

If you do not mind, I would like to ask when exactly did the ulcer over the above explained area appear? Approximately how many days/weeks/months after the sexual contact?

Awaiting your response to find a solution and well informed answer to your query.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had protected oral sex. Burning sensation over penis. Had ulcer over junction of head. Tested for STD. What can it be? 7 minutes later
May be after 3 weeks

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible allergic reaction; but need advice tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again and thank you for that information sir.

Well, if you experienced burning sensation over your penis ever since you had oral intercourse, which was protected (mostly importantly); this could most probably be a case of an allergic reaction to the latex (condom) or the lubricant in the condom that you used. Due to the fact that a continuous burning sensation was present, the allergic reaction could have resulted in a simple bacterial infection due to friction (from undergarments, etc.) or continued irritation from dampness, etc. This could have also caused the ulcer.

What a doctor would first suspect, would be an infection. But what is reassuring in your case is that; firstly, you used protection, and secondly, all your tests results have reported negative to infections. So this is good news, and points in the direction of an allergic reaction, which is also quite commonly encountered.

I would also like to ask, if you were only tested for the following: syphilis (VDRL), HIV and herpes (HSV 1 and 2)? If so, then I would recommend getting tested for other common sexually transmitted infections as well (eg. gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc.) to rule these out, as they can also cause such a presentation. Please request for a complete STD profile investigation at the hospital you visit.

I hope my response was helpful and easy to understand, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or explanations, I would be more than happy to help you sir.