Had premature baby born with mild jaundice. Having dry skin. Why the yellow stuff comes from skin?

my premature baby was born with mild jaundice she is now 11 weeks and she has very dry skin and she sweat alot of yellow stuff come out of her skin could you please tell me why the yellow stuff come out of her skin?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later

Neonatal jaundice is common in newborns especially in premature babies like yours.

The yellow stuff from her skin is due to the jaundice getting cleared off from her body. It is a good sign.

Consider exposing her to sunlight in the day time for an hour or so. It helps in clearing off the jaundice.

For her dry skin, you may use effective baby oils that are available over the counter.

She does not need any medications for her current symptoms. I am sure, she will be fine soon.

Continue to breastfeed your baby exclusively until she is 6 months old as she was born premature.

I hope this helps. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Had premature baby born with mild jaundice. Having dry skin. Why the yellow stuff comes from skin? 6 hours later
thanks for clearing my confuseion another question is when i took her to the doctor a few days ago they gave me flucloxacillin 125mg, to give it to her 2.5ml four times a day on the empty stomach, for the same sympton shall continue with that or let it heal naturally.
many thanks
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

In my suggestion, there is no need to give Flucloxacillin now. It will heal naturally.

Hope this helps.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please close the discussion and write a review.

I wish your daughter quick recovery.