Had postpartum hypertension and having anxiety. Noticed fluctuating blood pressure. Concerned

If I take my blood pressure twice in a row the second reading is always lower. Which one is more accurate? I have recently dealt with postpartum hypertension and have horrible anxiety about my blood pressure. I was on diovan hct 160/25 and it started to run too low so was told to take it every other day. I really think I could be totally off of it. I think my anxiety of taking it is what makes my numbers run higher.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 24 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
Post partum hypertension requires serious monitoring by your obstetrician and or cardiologist after delivery.
The monitoring is more intense because patients respond more to drugs than other hypypertensive patients of other categories. Your doctor put you on anti hypertensive treatment. When you take the drugs, they cause a reduction in your blood pressure. An excessive decrease in the blood pressure or hypotension simply requires a modification, a possible reduction in the dosage of the drug, and at times, a change in the class of the drug being used. Hypotension, left untreated, can be deadly.
Anxiety or at times post partum depression is a common feature after delivery. Exercise or walking, chatting with friends could be helpful. Anxiolytics are prescribed at times, choice and dosage are at the discretion of clinical appreciation by your doctor.
I think you consult your doctor for a confirmation of your BP values and how they evolve across the day. This shall determine alteration or change of the drug. As for anxiety, your doctor might decide to prescribe anxiolytic drugs or not. Try out the life style modifications as mentioned. Consulting a cardiologist/Obstetrician is of utmost importance.
Thanks for the question and best regards. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Luchuo, MD.