Had panic attack. Feel exhausted mentally and physically. Feel uncomfortable pressure and tightness in forehead. Remedy?

Hi, about 3 weeks ago i took a huge panic attack. Since then i have been in and out of doctors rooms getting a clean XXXXXXX of health. (Blood tests and ECG were all normal) my life for the last two years have been insanely busy working on too many projects than i could cope with, and having discussed with my GP she has told me that I am suffering from severe burnout. It has taken me two further weeks to cope with the anxiety attacks and now i feel exhausted physically and mentally. I feel a slight dull uncomfortable pressure and tightness in my forehead when required to focus on specific conversations with people in work or when i'm working on a project. I was worried it was a sign of a brain tumor but my GP and other doctors and family members have assured me that it is high anxiety and burnout. I guess i'm just looking for reassurance of that fact. Thank you, Mark.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Though brain tumour is not easily predictable based on clinical symptoms alone, your description sounds way away from the diagnosis of brain tumour.

Brain tumour present with severe headaches associated with physical signs including vomiting. Therefore what you experience - dull exercise don't seem to be related to serious concerns like tumour.

Stay reassured XXXXXXX If things are still bothering, write back to me, I shall be obliged to help you further.

Thanks and Regards
Follow-up: Had panic attack. Feel exhausted mentally and physically. Feel uncomfortable pressure and tightness in forehead. Remedy? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your reply. I have been told that my brain needs to relax and that the pressure and strain in my forehead is due to the intense stress, anxiety and trauma and worry i have placed on my brain since the initial occurrence of the panic attack. My own research seems to indicate the closest i can come to is that it is a tension headache, would this be a possibility? Generally speaking of course. I am a worrier in general.the strain seems to go when i'm asleep and indeed is completely gone when i awake. But the pressure tends to build up throughout the day the more i work my brain, engage in conversations or look upwards with my eyes. I should also note that my eyes have been checked out and give a clean XXXXXXX of health. I should also note that it has been suggested i may need glasses, for reading at least. sorry for all the questions, i can't stress enough the worry this has all placed on me and i thank you for taking the time to listen. Mark.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later

The fact that you wake up with no pain is a positive sign against possibility of brain tumor!!!

Yes, tension headaches may be the closest possibility. As you may have learnt, tension headache is a chronic condition and can be kept out if you can relax and de-stress from all those happening around you. Therefore it is very important to free yourself from anxiety and panic.

Few options I suggest my patients are:
1. Learn breathing exercise - slow and deep breathing exercise for 10-15 minutes whenever you feel stressed or perhaps three or four times a day.
2. Learn to sleep well - XXXXXXX your sleep time and sleep for a minimum 6-8 hours undisturbed.
3. Exercise - early morning exercise is always rejuvenating.
4. Practice yoga / transcendental meditation.
5. Music and hobbies are good stress busters.
6. Plan regular breaks from work - may be a trip to my country or any others of your choice.
7. Lastly if you are married / have a sexual partner, regular sexual intercourse is something that can be tried. Make sure you practice protected intercourse and with known partner only.

With various options to relieve stress, you can plan to treat the headaches. Over the counter pain killers are mostly sufficient to relieve these headaches. If the headaches are every day nuisance and you do not wish to take pain killer every day (which is healthy), you can try preventive medication such as selective serotonin group of drugs (SSRI). They are effective.

Besides the aformentioned options, you can contact me any time for further health assistance.