Had painful ear ache on left side. Sudden racing heart, warm or cold sensations on arms and shoulders. What could it be?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist

One month ago I had a very painful ear ache on left hand side. With some ear drops i managed to relief the problem. It was happened already three times since April. No i am having several symtomps like sudden racing heart, sweating, warm or cold sensations on my arms and shoulders. I want to know if a in ear infection can cause this and if it can also be not painful as it is now. And how to check this? Or am i simply wrong since i dont have pain in the ear right now so there cannot be an infection? Thank you. I also did an MRI of my brain and neck, i dont know if they could see a ear infection. I have attched it.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
seems to be benign

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with you out with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about and your problem seems to be benign.

You may get ear ache for several reasons and it may recur also but this is very common and since you do not have ear pain now then you do not have anything to worry about.

You may however consider doing the following:
1. Absolutely avoid using ear buds as our ears have a self cleansing mechanism which will take care of the cleaning and the usage of ear buds can only cause more harm than good.

2. A racing heart along with sweating and other symptoms you mentioned will usually have nothing to do with an ear problem and is more indicative of anxiety. You should definetely stop worrying and maybe consult a neurologist if the symptoms recur.

3. Do get your ears examined by an ENT surgeon if the pain recurs in the future but do not try to clean it yourself.

4. Since MRI is normal, this further points out that you do not have any serious problem.

5. You must however get your blood sugar levels tested and make sure that they are under control.

6. Keep your ears properly convered espcially from cold waves and from the direct blast of the AC or the fan

Most importantly do not worry

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be more than happy to clear any more doubts that you may have

Dr Sriram Nathan