Had outer ear infection. Prescribed with neomycin and polymyxin ear drops. Clogged ears. Normal?

I had outer ear infection and was prescribed Neomycin and polymyxin HC ear drops. I have been using it from yesterday but the ear appears full and clogged. Called up the doctor,she says it is normal.Am I to worry? How long is it going to take to get the answer?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is not a serious concern to worry

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Fullness of the ear may be due to external ear infection or wax. Antibiotic and ear drops for one day may not be sufficient to treat the infection. Continue the treatment for at least a week. Once the infection subsides the symptoms may improve.

Ear drops might have soften the wax in the ear which may also present with fullness of the ear. In that case wax removal is needed once the infection is controlled.

With the above measures if the symptoms does not improve that there are chances that it may be due to middle ear infection.

For the time being valsalva maneuver may help in relieving the ear fullness.

Hope the answer helps you.
Follow-up: Had outer ear infection. Prescribed with neomycin and polymyxin ear drops. Clogged ears. Normal? 29 minutes later
Thanks Dr.Basheer,
What is valsalva maneuver? Got the details regarding valsalva maneuver online..are you saying that I need to continue with the medication eventhough the ear appears full? should I go to the doctor for wax removal right away? Is it a painfull process?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue the medication.

Detailed Answer:

Valsalva maneuver will help release the eustachian tube block if any and reduce your symptoms. Do it at frequent intervals like once an hour.

Wax need to be removed now due the presence of infection. Wait until it subsides.

It is not a painful process. It can be removed with easy by a good expert.

It the symptoms increase that consult your doctor right away.