Had oral sex. Noticed blemish inside lower lips. Is that a symptom of HIV?

Good

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had closed mouth kissing and breast touching with mouth and touched the wet vagina of a prostitute some four weeks back. i noticed a blemish inside my lower lips today. is that a symptom of HIV?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A closed mouth kissing and breast touching are not likely to transmit the HIV infection.
Touching the wet vagina with penis or mouth can transmit the infection if the lady concerned is infected with HIV. Even then the chances of transmission are less than 1%. The chances of transmission of HIV is low from females to males compared to males to females but needs to be evaluated.
The best way to know is to get yourself tested for HIV from any good laboratory.
You can opt for initial screening with an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) to detect antibodies to HIV-1 infection.
A blemish inside the lip may be due to other STDs like herpes or HPV infection. Serological tests for these infections are also recommended.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Follow-up: Had oral sex. Noticed blemish inside lower lips. Is that a symptom of HIV? 43 minutes later
thanks for the advice but i just wanted make a correction here is that i did not touch the vagina with mouth...i used my hands for that...

regards

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you touched the vagina with hands then the chances of HIV transmission are almost nil. You need not worry then.
For the blemish inside the lower lip, you can apply a steroid based antiseptic gel on the area and take multivitamin supplements orally. This should subside on its own in 5-7 days.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Had oral sex. Noticed blemish inside lower lips. Is that a symptom of HIV? 12 minutes later
thanks so much Doctor...this will be my last follow up question which in nervousness i missed out last time. i wanted tell you that i did not even has any sexual intercurse with her. Should i take the stress of my mind?

regards

Hello.
If you did not have intercourse with her then the chances of transmission of HIV are not there even if she was infected with HIV.
Please do not worry. You can take the stress off your mind.
Please be careful in future.