Had one testis removed due to pain. Now other testis is getting small. Reason?

my right testicle is slowly getting smaller for some reason, this was also an undecended testicle in early life. I also had my left testicle removed 8 months ago with cronic pain , and a epedidimoctoy 6 mounth earlery, i've aso had a vasectomy 15 years ago. what happens now regarding my only testicle that is left and getting smaller
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that you are 56 years and are having one testis which is getting shrunken.
Especially in your case, the reasons for the same could be :
1) Old age
2) Testosterone deficiency
3) Undescended testis.
The most common cause of a testicular atrophy is old age. I understand that you are not that old but things may start at this age. If this is the cause nothing much can be done.
In testosterone deficiency, especially when one of your testis has been removed, the other testis may reduce in size. Most of the testosterone is produced in the testis and when one testis has been removed, there could be a testosterone deficiency leading to shrinkage of the other testis. Get a serum levels of testosterone done to identify this cause. If so, testosterone can be given from outside and this will prevent from further shrinkage of testis.
The undescended testis are smaller than the actual testis, but they dont shrink further. Many times people notice the small size and feel its shrinking, although it had been small all the time. If you are sure that there is a decrease in size, then you can avoid this cause.

Other than these three common once as per your case, there are plenty of others (infections, trauma, hormonal disturbances, varicocelle) but you can leave them as they may not be applicable to you.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Had one testis removed due to pain. Now other testis is getting small. Reason? 6 hours later
Will I end up loosing this testie? And what is the best form of testosterone to have ? I'm looking like having implants???
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 49 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for your follow-up query,
No, you wont end up loosing the testis. You need to investigate for the cause of atrophy.
Testosterone is available in the form of tablet and can be prescribed by a endocrinologist or a physician.
No, implants are a totally different thing. You just need proper treatment to restore your original testis.
Hope I am able to help you,
Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.