Had non stop chest pain for two hours. Could I ask a doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had non stop chest pain for two hours what could this mean?
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do consult a cardiologist to rule out cardiac caus

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms that you have mentioned and considering your age and history of CAD and hypertension, I would suggest you to get a cardiac check up done first of all to rule out any cardiac cause as any chest pain is cardiac in origin unless proved otherwise. You need to get an electrocardiogram and TMT (treadmill test) done to completely rule it out.

Secondly it can be due to anxiety neurosis, GERD, muscular pain or psychological cause because these pains can also be persistent. If cardiac cause is ruled out then anxiety neurosis should be ruled out.

Some of the treatment options which you can follow:

1) When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.

2) Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.