Had miscarriage of twin gestation. Have conceived, prescribed Pubergen injection. Is this safe?

Excellent

Question

My LMP was 30th Aug 2013. I have a previous history of One Mid Trimester miscarriage of a twin gestation.
I have conceived now. The doctor now has prescribed me Pubergen 5000IU injection twice a week.
I read in many sites, that Pubergen might cause Abnormalities in the baby. I am scared. Please let me know whether I can go along with the injection.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...It's use in pregnancy is prohibited in united states.
Detailed answer...
You are right as PUBERGEN is not used in pregnancy in USA as it has been categorised as category X  drug.This means that animal or human studies have shown fetal abnormalities and toxicities.
However your doctor has given it to you because you have a earlier history of miscarriage in past.This injection helps in sustaining your pregnancy.Your doctor is the best judge and she feels that it's use is much more important to you and hence she has prescribed it to you.
It would be best  on your part to discuss about the pros and cons of this injection with your treating doctor as she is your well wisher and wants the best outcome for you.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Had miscarriage of twin gestation. Have conceived, prescribed Pubergen injection. Is this safe? 28 minutes later
I have taken one injection today. will it cause any effects if I stop taking it? So far I have taken only one .

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
There is no need to be afraid of the injection.
There are lot of doctors in India who are routinely prescribing this injection.
However as I wrote earlier,you must have a XXXXXXX discussion about this injection with your treating doctor who should be able to allay your apprehensions.
In the mean time you can  carry on with your injections.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had miscarriage of twin gestation. Have conceived, prescribed Pubergen injection. Is this safe? 11 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr., for your very valuable advice. Will certainly consult my Dr again regarding this.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks