Had miscarriage. No periods till now. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016

I had a miscarriaage 5 weeks ago at 5 weeks pregnant i havent yet gotten my period. I have done a pregnancy test ehich came up negative. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

1) Most women get their period within 4 to 8 weeks following miscarriage and it varies from women to women.

Underlying causes of late period could be hormonal imbalance, mental stress or emotional upset, pelvic infection, high prolactin level, ovarian cyst, weight gain etc.

2) As you get negative result on pregnancy test, then you can wait another 1 week before going to any kind of examination and investigations.

In this time period, you would follow these things: a) Take balanced diet with iron and vitamin supplements. b) Avoid mental stress by regular meditation or yoga. c) Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. d) Take adequate sleep. e) Maintain genital hygiene properly.

3) In addition, you can take this food stuff like broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to induce period naturally.

4) If you don't get period after waiting one week, you must visit to your doctor. Some investigations like Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan, hormone test, blood Hb% & prolactin level etc are required to pinpoint the diagnosis.

5) Hormonal medication and other supportive therapy may be required on the basis of test reports for induction of your period. In such case, you must take a proper prescription from your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through