Had miscarriage. Have sore nipples and sharp pain in abdomen. What could this be?

My nipples have been really sore and I been having sharp pain in my abdomen. On March 26 I had a miscarriage. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Very sorry about your miscarriage. You did not say how many weeks it was and if you had any instrumentation to complete evacuation.

The soreness of the nipples is usually due to the persistent hormones. It would subside in a couple of weeks as the hormone levels settle to the pre-pregnant levels. Normal menstruation may resume within a month.

The pain in the abdomen could be a sequelae of the abortion process itself as well as due to passage of instruments via the cervix as well as curettage of the uterine wall.

You should consult your gynecologist for an opinion and check for the completion of abortion, presence of an infection and other complications.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.