Had mildly abnormal pap smear. Colposcopy showed CIN2. Schedule to remove cell. Any thoughts?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Question
My wife had a mildly abnormal pap smear. She did a colposcopy with a couple of small biopsies taken. Results came back as CIN2 and she is scheduled for having the cells removed. My worry for this is extreme. I keep thinking it will be something XXXXXXX terminal etc...
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 43 minutes later

CIN 2 is a preinvasive condition and it can be cured by different procedures as follows.
1. Destructive procedures like cryotherapy
2. Excising the diseased part by electric loop
3. Hysterectomy.

The results of these procedures are is good. Therefore your fear of this condition is not rational.

Do not be concerned. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck

Follow-up: Had mildly abnormal pap smear. Colposcopy showed CIN2. Schedule to remove cell. Any thoughts? 28 minutes later
Thanks! Doctor said the cells that she will have removed were positioned in a hard way. He said electric loop will probably work, but also said that if not she may have to have a hysterectomy. This sounds like something major and XXXXXXX

Also she had to postpone her appointment for the removal due to stomach flu, meaning that she might have the procedure a month later than planned. How urgent are things like these?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 16 minutes later

CIN 2, the preinvasive condition to progress to invasive cancer is a gradual and slow process. Hence I am ok with waiting for a month; it should not be a problem.

I would suggest you to try for electric loop procedure - if all the diseased cells are removed then hysterectomy may not be necessary.

Hope my answer is informative and allays your fear. Let me know if you need assistance.

Good luck

Follow-up: Had mildly abnormal pap smear. Colposcopy showed CIN2. Schedule to remove cell. Any thoughts? 46 minutes later
OK, Thanks. Finally. If I tell you that I fear that my wife would die from this, what would be the strongest arguments that such worry is irrational?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 12 minutes later

I can understand your concern about the disease and its complications. At this point of time, I would only encourage you to proceed with the treatment. A prolonged discussion with her treating doctor and may be counsellor can benefit you.

I would be able to address other technical questions relating to gynaec oncology only.

Good luck.