Had mild transient stroke. Diagnosed with Carotid artery. Advised for Carotid endarterectomy. Safe?

Hi Doctor.. My father had a mild transient stroke. He was diagnosed by block in the Carotid artery. He has been advised by the doctor to perform operation (Carotid endarterectomy). He is 57 years old and has high BP, Cholesterol and Diabetic as well. Is it advisable to undertake the operation or is there any other alternative to clear the block.

Thanks in advance..
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 55 minutes later
Thanks for the query
I understand your concern
Unfortunately there is no other way. This will prevent future stroke and there are good centers with good results. I feel that you should follow the advice of the local neurologist. I completely agree with your doctor
Please get back if you need any additional information
Best wishes
Follow-up: Had mild transient stroke. Diagnosed with Carotid artery. Advised for Carotid endarterectomy. Safe? 22 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your response. Can you please let us know if there would be any complications due to the surgery. What would be the risk while operation? Are there any other precautions that should be followed before the operation ?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 6 hours later
Thanks for the feed back
The risk of operations will be less than 3% in the best centres, I mean the centers that regularly do these procedures. The problems that are less likely but may happen are a new stroke; bleed in the brain and the general risk of any surgery. Please note that the risk of procedure is less than the new stroke. So you can go ahead. The BP should be controlled during the procedure.

Best wishes