Had lower abdominal pain, especially during night with nausea and constipation. Had ovarian cyst. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I have had lower abdominal pain, especially acute during the night, on and off for a couple of months. This is sometimes accompanied with nausea and either constipation or diarrhea. The pain is across my lower abdomen, but stronger on the left side and is quite strong, causing me to roll up in a ball. There's no fever (I think) nor interference with breathing associated with the pain
I am 72 years of age, female, and was diagnosed 3 years ago with gluten intolerance. I have been on a gluten free diet for 3 years. About 30 years ago I had a left side ovarian cyst drained laparoscopically.
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Pain in the left part of abdomen associated with constipation ir diarrhea can be due to Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS)
Spasmodic pain can be due to left kidney stone.Ultrasound abdomen rules out this condition.It will also gives the status of left ovary which was drained laparoscopically.
If the ultrasound is normal,then you should go for colonoscopy to see the large bowel.
These investigations will give a clue to diagnosis.
If all are normal,then it ciuld be IBS.
I give Pre and probiotic capsule and antispasmodic to my patients with similar complaints.
If you come back with above reports,i will clarify further
Wish you speedy recovery