Had loose motions. Had blood tests,endoscopy,colonoscopy and biopsy. Suggest?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi few days back I went to gastroenterologist due to loose motions.

I went through several tests mainly Blood tests,endoscopy,colonoscopy and biopsy.

I am attaching my reports with this question and I am nervous about my health.

Please help me and let me know how serious is my disease and is it controllable?

Please help doctor

Thanks
XXXXX
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Crohns disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Cant really see any blood work results or stool tests.
Most probable diagnosis for you is Crohns disease. Even if samples collected during biopsy does not confirm that. Please note that sometimes it is very hard to establish proper diagnosis if its about inflammatory bowels diseases (including Crohns). Especially when basing on biopsies.
However it can be suspected when there are symptoms like diarrhea, lower right abdominal pain (ileum is a very characteristic localization for Corhns), weight loss, elevated body temperature, joint pains. Colonoscopy usually reveals inflammatory changes in the ileum. Biopsy can confirm it however lack of confirmation does not rule it out. Sometimes it can be confirmed only after surgical removal of affected part.
This kind of inflammation should be checked with possible bacterial reason. So stool test and stool culture test is very important. Antibodies like ANA and XXXXXXX are usually elevated.

Crohns disease is a chronic and can not be cured. But it can be well controlled. At your case, you should get Sulfasalazine treatment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had loose motions. Had blood tests,endoscopy,colonoscopy and biopsy. Suggest? 1 hour later
Hi doctor here are my blood reports.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Your blood work looks fine. However antibodies (ANCA, ANA) should be checked.
Stool tests and stool culture test are also very important.
Have you been prescribed any medicine? Like antibiotics or anti-inflammatory? If so, this could lower WBC level which is usually elevated with such inflammation.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had loose motions. Had blood tests,endoscopy,colonoscopy and biopsy. Suggest? 17 minutes later
Hi doctor right now I am taking following medicines

Mesalamine prolonged release tablets 2 at a time
Oflaxacin and Ornidazole tablets 2 times a day
Mebeverine 135 mg tablets

Please let me know if this disease cannot be controlled even with healthy diet habits.

Also is it life threatening?

I am looking forward to get married soon

Please let me know

thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
This is correct treatment. Should make your flare up get healed so you can be in remission.
This disease is an autoimmune disease. The main problem is that your own immune system tries to destroy intestine cells. This causes an inflammation. We do not know why this diseases appears. There are theories that too clean life (where immune system has nothing to fight with) causes allergies and autoimmune diseases. But its only a theory.
Unfortunately we do not know how to tell immune system to do not fight own body cells. So this disease will stay with you for ever (if its Crohns). But most of the cases well reacts to the treatment so the inflammation does not spread and stays hidden. So the best possibility is that you will respond for treatment and will stay in remission.
However some cases does not react to the treatment, so it needs to be changed. In some cases surgical removal of affected intestine is necessary (usually when it causes bowels obstruction).

Diet has nothing to do with this issue so you can not affect it that way.

And one more thing, you need to be under permanent control of gastroenterologist, and have regular colonoscopies done.

This issue is not life threatening when can be controlled. However in rare cases it can be life threatening (intestine perforation, abscess, fissure). But lets hope it will respond to the treatment and wont cause any problems at your case.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had loose motions. Had blood tests,endoscopy,colonoscopy and biopsy. Suggest? 23 minutes later
Hi doctor

I started using medicines from last 6 days. How long do you think I should wait to jump in to conclusion that I should need another colonoscopy.

In other words how long I should wait to see or compare my improvements in terms of days.

Right now I dont gave stomach pain like earlier after meals.Also my loose motions become some what strong and they are around 6/7 times a day.

My doctor said to follow medication for 2 months

Please advice

thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
The treatment should last 8-12 weeks. After that time your symptoms should go away and this will indicate a remission. You should also have colonoscopy after 8-12 weeks of treatment (however when perform such colonoscopy is set individual depending of the symptoms).
Generally you should have colonoscopy every 1-2 years if there wont be no symptoms. This will allow to diagnose flare ups in early stages and possible colon cancer.
According to the tests and treatment you have had, it seems that your doctor is treating you well and you are in good hands. So please follow his advice.

Hope this will help.
Regards.