Had lame arm, feeling nausea and have bulging veins. Any risk of stroke or a heart attack?

I am a female 53 years old. Unfortunately I smoke 20 a day. I have had a lame left arm for 11 months and just lately heart palputations. I do not have chest pain. My ankles are not swollen. Am I going to have a stroke or heart attack? Lately I have felt nausius. I battle with anxiety due to many many traumas in my life. I now live in a country where I don't speak the language fluently. Please help. I also have bulging veins. Please help!
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
The risk of stroke or a heart attack cannot be predicted with the information that you have provided. We would need additional information such as your other illnesses (particularly diabetes, high blood pressure), your cholesterol levels, family history etc However, the palpitations could be one of the symptoms of heart disease which has remained unidentified till now. So it would be a good idea to get an electrocardiogram done to rule out anything sinister. this is a simple, outpatient test which can be done at any local hospital.
However, these palpitations could be due to the anxiety as well. But it would be premature on our part to ascribe it to that given your age and the fact that you smoke quite heavily.
We do need to understand here that its extremely important for you to quit smoking altogether if possible. there are several programs available and I would be willing to provide you with the required links if you so wish.
As far as the risk of stroke is concerned, I need to know more details about the "lame left arm".
When did it happen?
What exactly is the problem?
Have any tests been done? Did a physician give you a diagnosis?
Do you have any other episodes of blurring of vision, weakness, sensation issues, or speech disturbances?
Since the left arm could represent an old stroke, this information could help me classify the level of risk you're at if I have the above information
I look forward to hearing from you
Let me know if you have any more concerns