Ask a Urologist   »  

Had kidney stone operation. CT scan found another stone. Medicine to avoid back pain and vomiting till operation?

Hi Doctor,

I had undergone a kidney stone operation in 2007 and then i got another stone in 2010 For both of which we found the stone was calcium oxalate stone which were removed by sending tube via pennis and brekaing with laster beasm
.Now recently 2013 March under CT Scan found another stone of 5 mm in size (before 1 month check) .But this time doctor said since stone is in kidney he can use the ultrasonic waves instead of sending tube through provate part.
My insuance does not cover me for this in XXXXXXX and i planned to go to india to do this operation onJuly 5 th.I am little afraid whether i will get pain like vomiting and backpain between today 08 of May and XXXXXXX 31st 2013.I want to know is there any medicines that i can take to keep me out of pain between these days ,Becuase incase i need to do this operation before i go to india i need to spend almost 0000$ in XXXXXXX which is not affortable.
So kindly give me some advise and any medication i can take between this time period.

Thanks for help
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to our forum.
Kindly attach or type the CT report, that will let me guide you if lithotripsy is a must in your case.
Normally lithotripsy is done for stones more than 8 mm.
Pain killers like Ibuprofen, ibuprofen + acetaminofen, diclofenac sodium, tramadol can be used. It is better to use these sparngly.
For vomiting, domperdone or ondansetron can be used upto thrice daily .
Hope this helps,
Best regards

Follow-up: Had kidney stone operation. CT scan found another stone. Medicine to avoid back pain and vomiting till operation? 12 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your kind reply.I do agree with you.Please see the following link which gave me some indication of
WWW.WWWW.WW doctor says patients with mobile stones that are located in the upper portions of the urinary tract (kidney and upper ureter) are good for this way of operation. After treatment, some patients may still have stone fragments that are too large to be passed. These can be treated again if symptoms persist.(But i want to avoid formation of stones again).

So do you suggest Percutaneous Stone Removal or Ureteroscopic Stone Removal for my condition.I have send an email to doctor to give me the CT Report on the same.
Please provide your thoughts

Thanks a lot doctor XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
I am not able to access the link, unfortunately.
I would like to discuss further with the CT report, as 5 mm stones do not need any of the mentioned treatment asked by you.
Prevention of stones requires some modification in fluid intake and diet patterns.
Still there is no absolute way of prevention.
Best regards