Had intercourse first time, took ipill. How effective it is in preventing pregnancy?

Mar 2016

hii....actually i had intercourse first time with my boyfriend on saturday. First we did it for about 15 mins without the use of condom.Then we did it with the use of condom. This all happened in afternoon. I took the i-pill in evening around 8pm the same day. How effective will that be in preventing the pregnency? period date is 1st or 2nd of every month.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I-pill is more than 95% effective.

Detailed Answer:

According to information, I can assume that you did sex on last Saturday (14th September) if I am not wrong. Based on your period date, the day was close to your ovulation day or fertile days. Here, chance of pregnancy is quite low.

However, I-pill (emergency contraceptive) within first 24 hrs gives protection more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy. You will get a withdrawal bleeding within 5-7 days of taking the I-pill.

Next period may be delayed for 1-2 weeks due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress. It is normal thing. But, you would need to undergo one home pregnancy test if period is delayed more than 1 week.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Had intercourse first time, took ipill. How effective it is in preventing pregnancy? 23 hours later
actually i m experiencing constant itching in vaginal cavity. I know its because of the use of condoms. But can you tell me if this will have any adverse effect on my health or for how long this will continue???
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Condom doesn't cause ill health effect.

Detailed Answer:

Vaginal itching may be due to contact of chemical subs/ bath products/ soap or condoms. However, yeast infection may be associated with that if you have some discharge. Using condom do not cause any ill health effect but quality of condom should be improved to avoid itching or irritation problem.

If you don't take any kind of treatment, itching may not subside automatically. Therefore, I suggest you following treatment.

TREATMENT: 1) Maintain genital hygiene with proper way and avoid above subs.

2) Vaginal suppository with metronidazole or fluconazole at bed time for 3 days.

3) Don't involve in sex till the problem subsides and avoid douching or inserting foreign objects.

Hope, you will be benefited with above treatment protocol. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen