Had intercourse before starting Microlite. Yet to start periods. Could I be pregnant?

Hello. A 27 year old female. I started to take the contraceptive pill, microlite. However I started using it before the first day of my period on day 5 I had intercourse. I've finished the strip and on day 3 of the 7 day break I am yet to start my period. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 14 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions, once you have finished all 21 tablets, you will not take any tablets during the next 7 days. Your period (withdrawal bleed) normally starts during these 7 days, usually 2–4 days after taking the last Microlite tablet. As its mentioned on package insert as well that when you begin taking Microlite on the first day of the cycle (that is, the first day of your period). If you start Microlite on this day you are immediately protected against pregnancy. You may also begin on day 2-5 of your cycle, but you must use extra protective measures (for example, a condom) for the first 7 days. Will recommend you wait for 2-3 days else check with pregnancy test to be more sure. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Had intercourse before starting Microlite. Yet to start periods. Could I be pregnant? 13 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you for answering my above question on pregnancy.

For as long as i can remember my cycle was never regular. I use to take microlite a number of years ago and have not taken any contraceptive for a number of years. I began to start taking microlite on the 15th of August, i however in my innocence failed to read the instructions. (Stupid of me i know!) The date of my last period was between the 18th-21st of July.

I started the packet on the 15th of August a number of days prior to my period being due. As i stupidly thought it would prevent pregnancy straight away. I am asking could the microlite have been effective enough after 5days in my system to prevent against pregnancy where no condom was used and i took it at effectively the end of my cycle.

Many Thanks,
A very worried lady.
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 10 hours later
I totally understand your concern but as it depends if the concentration of the medications in the birth control pills had achieved adequate levels to start its action is the concern. Will recommend you wait for 2-3 days else check with pregnancy test to be more sure, else get yourself examined by your clinician. If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks