Had intercourse after periods. Taken pill. Developed thrush. Missing periods. Worrisome

Hi my boyfriend and I had sex as soon as my periods ended next day I had emergency contraceptive pills, one week later I got my period again, with tthis I developed a thrush, my boyfriend went for examining and. He is negetive for any stt therefore we are sure that it is a thrush. I left it untreated untill I stopd bleeding and I wentt to the doctor with my mother and told her I have thrush and it was not possible for me to say in front of my mother that I had sex, since it is a religious reason. Doctor prescribed a 3 day medication. It has been 2 days already, yet I have swollen ass and vagina with slits on the vagina could you please help
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse which you had prior to these symptoms or the second possibility is of an infection can be caused by bacteria or yeast.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to find out the bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Oral antibiotics may also be needed. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.