Had intercourse after periods. Burns while urinating and spotted blood like mucus. What's wrong?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi about three days after my period ended I had sexual intercourse. A day after i kept needing to use the bathroom and every time I urinated it would burn, hurting my abdomen. Also I spotted a blood like mucus.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a cefpodoxime etc depending on the urine test results.
I would advise you to consult your doctor & get a urine routine and culture test done .
Depending on the clinical examination your doctor might start a urinary alkaliser ( for reducing burning ) , an antispasmodic analgesic for pain and a course of antibiotic.
The blood tinged mucus can be from coming from your vagina rather than in urine and as it's been less than a week since your periods ended its not very significant .But if you get continued spotting or blood tinged mucus then there is a possibility of a vaginal infection too ( genitourinary infection) for which additional local vaginal pessary tablets might be prescribed by your doctor .
Please do not worry and do consult your doctor for better relief.
Meanwhile remember to drink lots of water and maintain good genital hygiene for faster relief.
Warm sitz baths may provide some soothing relief too.
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your speedy recovery .