Had intercourse. Started feeling burning and stinging sensation while urinating. How to get relief?

Hi, I had sexual intercourse 3 nights ago and ever since my vagina has been very swollen and incredibly painful when urinating. I have been using different creams etc thinking it was a yeast infection (which I am quite prone too because I suffer from vulvadinia). But the burning/stinging sensation while urinating is so painful and has not subsided at all, so I took a mirror to see if I could see what was going on and noticed some tears on the left hand side of my labia minora. There was some blood still coming from the tears and still very painful. Though I do also think I also have a yeast infection as it feels itchy inside the pain from the tears is obviously unrelated. What should I do for this and how do I help it heal?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 43 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

You have given a lot of information which is very useful, but I think the problem is relatively simple. You think you might have a yeast infection which, if present, would lead to inflammation of the skin in and around the vagina. Combine that with intercourse using a condom (to which you are allergic) and that inflammed skin will tend to break with intercourse, almost like small fissures in the skin.

You need to:
1. Treat over-the-counter with a yeast medication
2. You can use a topical hydrocortisone cream as needed (which you may have done for treatment of your vulvodynia)
3. You need to avoid intercourse until this has completely healed
4. You need to go into your OB/GYN for STD screening. The most common causes of urethral pain (that pain you feel with urinating) are related to STD's. While this is unlikely, I think you would benefit from a full screening.

I hope this helps! Please ask if you have additional questions.