Had injury to the bridge of nose. X-ray was normal but have strong headache, using motrin. Suggest?

I had in injury to the bridge of my nose 3 days ago the X-ray was normal but my headache is still strong , I have been resting with fluids what is causing the pain th be so persistent? I have been using ice at times and Motrin
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 1 hour later

Thank for writing in.

From your query I read that you had recent injury to nose followed by severe headache.

May I know the type of injury you had, any hit to head, any loss of consciousness,any vomiting and any ENT bleed (ear, nose throat)? This helps to help you further from my side to arrive a diagnosis.

Headache is most likely due to local injury and soreness. It would get better.

As motrin hasn't reduced headache, I think you will need prescription pain killers like naprosyn. Drink plenty fluids and take rest.

Consult local physician/Neurologist for clinical examination and prescription. If headache is worrisome, you may require CT scan brain with paranasal sinus sections.

Follow-up: Had injury to the bridge of nose. X-ray was normal but have strong headache, using motrin. Suggest? 2 hours later
Injury was to the bridge of the nose with a laceration not requiring stitches.blood was mostly from laceration just limited blood if I blow nose. Sensitive to light doc said may have mild concussion. Eyes sensitivity is making me slightly nauseous
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 8 hours later

So it is milder injury, you need not worry.

Since nose is supplied by cranial nerve (trigeminal nerve) which also supplies eye and meninges (brain covering).

Irritation of nerve at nose causes stimulation of trigeminal activation system which in turn causes headache, eye sensitivity and nausea in your case.

Short course of flunnarzine will alleviate your symptoms in addition to naprosyn.

Kindly get back if you require any additional information, if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate my answer.

Wishing for a quick and complete recovery