Had ingunal hernia removed. Taking gabapentin and hydrocodone for the pain. What to do?

I had an ingunal hernia removed in May 0000. Previous to that I had 2 c-sections, hysterectomy, and he used the same insition to remove the hernia. I have had pain since. I'v been to 4 surgeons, 4 pain managements and nothing seems to help. As the years go on it just gets worse. They say I have nerve damage from the hernia repair. I am taking Gabapentin and hydrocodone for the pain and it just does not work. I'm now 58 years old wishing I was 58 years young! I also take care of my 88 year old Dad. Driving makes it hurt and just about everything from washing cloths to just walking! HELP! Any ideas or new things they have come up with? Thanks for your help.Can this be repaired and I also have mesh in there too. They have tried radiotherepy, cordisone shots, and I just can't remember what else. My Dr. I see now thinks that 10-325T ofhydrocodone is enough for the pain and I also take zanax at night to try to sleep. What do you think? I take 4 pills of the hydrocodone a day.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later

It seems you are suffering with a neuralgic pain. Neuralgic pain occurs due to irritation of nerve ending at scar of the operated site. In some cases it really becomes troublesome and does not respond to most of the drugs as it has happened in your case.

If I were to be treating you, I would suggest you the following line of treatment.

1. Codeine: In the first instance I suggest that you reduce the dosage or stop it completely. It seems to be not working and may complicate the management. You can have simple pain killer like paracetamol (over the counter) or any other prescription analgesic as advised by your treating doctor.

2. Pregabalin and one of anticonvulsant drug (e.g. clobazam, lamotrigine or oxcarbamazepine) can be considered by your treating doctor. A low dose antidepressant like amitriptyline or duolexitine can also be considered by him.

The pain may not reduce immediately with this line of treatment, but gradually the dose and frequency of these drugs can be altered by your doctor to contain the pain.

Hope you recover from pain. Let me know if you need any other information pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Pratap