Had inguinal hernia repair done. Feeling heaviness on right side. Worried for another hernia

General Surgeon
Hello I had ingoinal hernia repair 3 years ago during which my left side was repaired recently it seems I have a heavy feeling on my right side but no bulge at all I was wondering if its just the feeling of contrast of the both sides or liklly anothr hernia there is no pain however I should add that my surgeon inspected my right side during surgery and saw no signs of another herna sinnce then I have been careful not to over stress the area any advice would be appriciated
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You need to know that hernia is caused by inherited connective tissue defect what makes it weak in every part of your body. So if the hernia has appeared on the left side, it is very probable that you are prone to have it on the right side as well.
Lump or bulge is not always present with hernia. The pain or just strange feeling in the inguinal area can be also caused by hernia. You can perform simple test. Put your hand on the area where the discomfort is and try to cough while standing. If the lump will appear or pain will aggravate, hernia is very probable.
3 years is long enough for hernia to appear, so your surgeon could not feel it that time.
I suggest you to have an ultrasound of this area and visit general surgeon for physical examination.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.