Had hysterectomy noticed blood in panties. Have sore genital and swelling around urethra. STD?

I noticed blood in my panties. I've had a full hysterectomy. I checked my genital area and found some small sores and slight swelling around my urethra. I think the opening is larger than usual because I've never noticed it before and now it stands out. Could this be an STD?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this might be an infection. With regard to the "sores" and swelling around the urethra, something is causing inflammation and the sores are a sign of an infection. It might be as simple as a yeast infection with associated skin breakdown, or it could represent herpes. This would be simple to discern on an exam.

With regard to the bleeding, it is either coming from the vagina or the urethra / bladder. This could also be a sign of infection OR related to the 'gaping' of the urethra (I am assuming that this is the opening that you are referring to and not the vagina itself) with a small amount of urethral prolapse which can bleed. This is benign and also could be discerned on exam.

So my recommendation is to go get checked out tomorrow and this should be easy to sort out.

Good luck!
Follow-up: Had hysterectomy noticed blood in panties. Have sore genital and swelling around urethra. STD? 18 minutes later
I've had these same symptoms continuously for months. My understanding of herpes is that you have break-outs but not continuous symptoms. Could the fact that I've had continuous symptoms perhaps rule out herpes? I'm just a little freaked out about maybe having herpes. I have a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks so I'll have to wait until then to have it checked.
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two weeks is too long...

Detailed Answer:
In two weeks, if the problem is cleared up, then noone will figure it out. It would be ideal if you could get in sooner. Call tomorrow and ask to be seen immediately or you will transfer your care to someone who will see you sooner.

And yes, this is not typical of herpes to have continuous symptoms like you describe. One thought is that you might be leaking a small amount of urine which can be very irritating to the surrounding mucosal skin. Wearing a pad to absorb any moisture and use of hydrocortisone cream might help while you wait for an appointment.

I hope that this helps!