Had hysterectomy, estrace. Take vicodin and advil for arachnoiditus. Have swollen ankles and blood in urine. Suggest?

I had a hysterectomy March 1, 2013. I am 62. They left my ovaries. I was told to take a small dose of estrace each day.
I also have arachnoiditus. I take vicodin and some adil for that. I now have swollen ankles mostly the right one and blood in my urine (not from my vagina) I had a complete urethra/bladder work up that indicated I was ok. Why the swollen ankles and blood in urine?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to check kidney function

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in the urine (haematuria) can related to any aspect of the urinary tract ( the kidneys, ureter, bladder or urethra).
If your bladder and urethra have been examined and found to be normal then your doctor may consider assessment of the kidneys and ureters.

Assessment of haematuria involves (1) examination of the urine checking bacteria, parasites, casts, protein
(2)blood pressure check
(3)full blood count , ESR (checks for inflammation in the body), creatinine and urea (checks kidney function), electrolytes such as sodium and potassium
(4) imaging such as ultrasound or CT of the entire urinary treat

Blood in the urine can be caused by : (1) stones in any part of the tract

(2) tumors

(3)inflammation of the kidneys which can occur in a number of conditions

(4)blood disorders

The swelling may be related to any impaired function of the kidneys or secondary to venous disease.If the blood test show that the kidneys are working well then it is likely venous disease

In venous disease blood pools in the legs because the valves that are suppose to prevent backward flow of the blood are not working well.
These valves are suppose to allow the blood to go up to the heart and stop it from pooling in the legs.

This is treated by elevation of the feet , use of special stockings.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions