Had hysterectomy. Feeling pain in scar area. Could it be from stretching?

I had a hysterectomy in 2009. Yesterday my scar became very painful and it is bright red. Started as a little bit of the scar being red, and now it is all the way across my pubic bone. I read that it could be from stretching? Maybe gaining weight caused it? Why so suddenly? Also, if it is an infection instead, how could a closed scar get infected? From the inside? Sure does hurt!
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 31 minutes later
Welcome and thanks for the query

If the scar is under fold of skin and you keep it wet then there can be an allergy and redness.One should avoid scented stuff for bathing.Perfumed shower gels and bathing stuff can be sensitive to the nerve endings which were cut during the operation and the skin fold hanging over the scar , if wet can cause an infection.There is nothing to worry about , keep the area dry and use antibiotic ointment locally and neosporin powder.You can use placentrex lotion locally if available.Regular abdominal muscle exercises to reduce the fat helps a lot.

Get your blood sugar levels repeated
Best wishes and good luck