Had hysterectomy. Did errands and walking. Tummy is swollen and tight, unable to sleep. What should I do?

Mar 2013
Had my XXXXXXX hysterectomybjune 21. Mon tues we'd felt good. Did some errands and some walking. Got home last nite my tummy is swollen and tight. Couldn't sleep last nite and today i am in bed with a swollen tummy and tiried. Did I do some damage? What should I do now
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 31 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health query.
You have mentioned that you had your hysterectomy done on XXXXXXX 21st. That makes it now almost a month since the surgery.
If the intervening period was uneventful, then you have nothing to worry about majorly.
Sometimes after a hysterectomy, one occasionally feels pain and discomfort due to the natural healing process of the body.
It takes almost 6 - 8 weeks for you to completely normalize and resume all levels of normal activity. Before that, it is common to sometimes feel discomfort.
However, if the swelling and pain is significant ( considering that you could not sleep last night ), then you need to consult your operating surgeon for an opinion.
Mild fullness is acceptable, but intolerable pain and swelling should be evaluated.
Mild walking and some errands are least likely to result in major damage .
Adhesions, inflammation and mild swelling of the tissues can result in pain and discomfort.
Your doctor would examine you internally, and if necessary ask for an ultrasound to confirm that there is nothing serious.
Please have an opinion to be on the safer side.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Had hysterectomy. Did errands and walking. Tummy is swollen and tight, unable to sleep. What should I do? 1 hour later
What advice do u have? Should I just rest the next couple days as I have a busy weekend. I do not have much pain just when I get up i feel a little twinge of pain. Should I take a little walk or not. I can't sit up without discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Specifically -
1. Try taking an analgesic and a hot water bottle .
2. Do not move around, and try resting for a day.
3. If you see no improvement , please visit the ER for a look at it.