Had hit on thumb. Bruise developed under nail. Using ice on it. What else should be done?

I closed a door on my thumb and now it looks as if there is a bruise developing under the nail. Under my thumb nail, there is an area that is turning blue. I have been putting ice on it but is there something more that I should be doing?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 26 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

If there is no open wound, then is nothing more that is needed.

You can take a oral analgesic, if you cant take the pain. You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily)

If there is small open wound, then this needs to be covered by bandage after applying antibiotic cream.

Bluish area under nail is local hematoma formation( which means it a collection of blood) and this doesn't need any treatment as such.But it would probably remain till the nail grows out.

Continue applying ice.
Let me know if you have any more questions.