Had hiatus hernia surgery. Treated with antibiotics for infection in stomach. Fluids coming out from incision. Worried?

Hi - my mom just had a hiatus hernia surgery on sept 9. She felt ok for about a week after it but in the last 2 weeks they found an infection in the stomach and have been treating it with antibiotics. She's also had 2 blood transfusions and now there is fluid coming out of her original incision in her stomach. The fluids seem to been what ever she has drank( the last one was coffee) or eaten which makes us think there is a hole somewhere in the stomach. she's not on solid foods. For this problem they have done a ct scan with no indications of a stomach leak and now did a gastro x-Ray with no negative results. They are now wanting to do another ct scan. We are looking for any other suggestions now as this has been going on now( fluids leaking out her incision ) for almost 2 weeks and her health is going down. The doctors not giving us much info and is hard to get any answers from him we are getting worried! Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:

I am very sorry to hear about your mother's health issues.

You have mentioned that CT scan of the abdomen and xrays ( probably a barium contrast xray) did not reveal anything. You have mentioned about infection and fluid leaking.

The probable cause is surgical wound /anastamotic site infection.

Culture sensitivity test may be done to know what organism is causing the infection and the antibiotic to which it is sensitive. A course of this antibiotic may provide relief.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini