Had hernia operation. Could this be the cause for swollen ankles?

Hi I had a hernia operation a week ago and have been pretty inactive, could this be the cause of my hugely swollen ankles?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The complain of hugely swollen ankle cannot be merely because of inactivity after hernia surgery. Please give brief clinical history.
1.Are you on any medication?
2.Are you diabetic and/or hypertensive?
3.Which hernia surgery you underwent? Do you had any complications during that surgery?
4.Are you suffering from arthritis?
5.Are your both swollen ankles warmer/tender/red than other body part?
6.Swelling of ankle is upto where?
7.Any other complain of trauma or symptoms you like to share?

Please reply to above questions with brief clinical history so,I can help you better.

Thank you,
Follow-up: Had hernia operation. Could this be the cause for swollen ankles? 13 hours later
No other symptoms, no redness or heat, swelling is confined to the ankle bone region but is 'hard' not soft swelling... Have had mild high blood pressure in the past but no medication or anything for it; or now. No complications during surgery; no arthritis or other problems... I do drink and smoke too much; XXXXXXX but have actually cut down drinking a lot in the last couple of weeks and it is since then that I have had issue with ankles. Hernia was about 4 inches below belly button, emergency operation for articulated hernia. Not diabetic as far as I know.
Thanks :)
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 4 hours later
Thanks for your query,
Edema represents fluid leakage from the blood and lymphatic vessels into the soft tissues. Increased total body water, reduced flow through the vessels, changes in blood chemistry, inflammation and positional factors may contribute to fluid leakage into the tissues. The feet and ankles prove particularly susceptible to edema because gravity promotes fluid pooling in these areas of the body.
There may be other reasons like blood clot,medication,renal or heart failure,or infection or even sign of liver failure as you were drinking a lot.
Please kindly consult a physician and get basic tests done like complete blood count, blood pressure check up, color Doppler arterial and venous of both lower limb to get the correct cause.
Hope this will help.
Thank you.