Had heart attack. Angioplasty done. What are the precaution and diet to be taken?

I am 59 years and active gymmer. Never been to a hospital earlier but had Blood Pressure since 1999 and was 25 mg of Aten. Fortnight ago i had pain while in gym and was diagnised as heart attack and was treated and an angioplasty was done on 4th Sep 2012. Am a south Indian and would like to know whether
1 i will be able to go back to gym and do what ever i was doing earlier?
2. whether restrictions on the diet is permanent?
3. What is the amount of salt intake one should watch?
4. Can i take alcohol regularly? what is the quantity it should be?
what is the period i should take complete rest?

what are the chances of recurrence?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query
You are a gymmer and that is the one reason your never had visit to the hospital. As you had angioplasty so it would have should the coronary arteries which have blocked and caused the heart attack. before i answer your queries one by one i would provide you with some suggestions which would be helpful for your healthy life.

on the basis of your angioplasty, discuss the case with your doctor to pass a per cutaneous stent in the blocked artery to make it patent so that the blood supply is resolved and further chances of attack are reduced.

1. yes you will be able to go back to gym even if it will be beneficial for you to have your routine exercises as they make collateral arteries in the heart but after the resolution and proper treatment of current problem and also you have to reduce the exertion you previously had.

2. Yes the restriction on the diet is permanent and you have to adopt a new life style in order to avoid any further attack.

3. The amount of salt should be reduced to an extent that no salt should be added to your diet as the food intake you have in different forms already have salts so it is recommended to use salt and fat free diet

4. Alcohal Intake is one the most common cause of heart problems so it should be avoided however some researchers say that mild to moderate doses of Alcohal prevents from heart problems that is from 200-400ml/day.

5. you should take rest for at-least 2 weeks but before going for any heavy activities do have a fitness check up from your cardiologist.

6. The chances of recurrence of heart attack in people who already had one attack are increased up-to 3-4 folds and it is more probable that they can have a much more severe attack in future therefore it is recommended to discuss for stenting the artery with your cardiologist.

If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly give 5 star rating to the answer. If you still have some queries feel free to ask

Follow-up: Had heart attack. Angioplasty done. What are the precaution and diet to be taken? 1 hour later
Doctor, do you mean to say that i should stop adding salt in my food completely?
If the diet restrictions are like permanent, then what use of the exercise and dicipline one has to follow after the angioplasty? I was under the impression that i should restrict salt and fat in take for the first 6 months and slowly increase my physical activity as well as food restrictions. Please clarify. I have friends who have undergone angio and are neither do physical exercise or comply restricitons on diet and as well as on drinks ??!!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
thanks for the query!
As you have done angioplasty and you are on regular exercise so its not necessary to restrict salt and diet completely but you have to reduce it markedly. The physical activity will help you burn extra fats and remove extra salts from your diet. All these restrictions are meant for your better health and prevention for further attacks. As i told you moderate quantity of drinks are beneficial for heart problems. In my practice i have seen patient who do not restrict their diets and neither they do physical activity but after the initial attack they had second attack after a period of 4-7 years which was either fatal, or the heart have irreversibly damaged or have landed in the Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting.
In your case, you have done an early angioplasty which is very good in favor of you. second you are an athlete which is an enhancement to your good health but still as doctor i will recommend you to follow the diet restrictions if not completely then at least you can reduce it as no doctor will allow you to take normal diets after a heart attack. At least observe yourself for an year if you develop no symptoms during this time then you can gradual withdraw from diet restriction. Still for your good health i will advice you to follow the restrictions
feel free to ask any further queries