Had headache in eyes and back of head with vomiting. Ibuprofen helped. Underlying cause?

Nov 2013

I would like to ask a question on behalf of my wife. She is 34, in good healthand works as a teacher.

She has had a headache since monday when it was accompanied with vomiting. Then it became better but has not completely disappeared. It is in the area of eyes as well as at the back of the head. Ibuprofen 800 mg helped a bit on monday aftet she has occasionaly used 400 mg with not much difference.

Please advise if this is a brain tumor or perhaps not that bad?

Appart from the headache she is ok. No other vision or moving or anything similar.

She has had headaches since childhood and a few scans have been performed, the latest one less than 2 years ago. All was normal.

Should she have another scan or should she switch to prescription medications or should she take more of ibuprofen?

How much of a serious concern does this have?

Maybe one more thing to point. It is the beginning of the school year and similar situation was also a year ago.

During the summer there were much less headaches, almost none. Can returning to work trigger a headache?
And how about the headache period going on for several days? It is of less serious than on Monday but can be sensed again in the afternoon

With best regards
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it is migraine

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through the details mentioned by you, regarding your wife's headache.

I can understand your concern, as the headache is going on for about six days and associated with vomiting.

However, I would like to reassure you that there are very little chances of this being due to brain tumor or any other serious neurological disease.

The most likely cause for her symptoms could be migraine, which can get triggered with stress or extra workload.

I think you can switch her to prescription medications, including naproxen and rizatriptan for pain relief. In addition, she may benefit with preventive medications for migraine headache such as topiramate, beta blockers, etc.

If symptoms persist, a repeat brain scan may be done.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,