Had hashimoto's thyroiditis. Blood test normal. Have a benign thyroid nodule. How to get rid of this?

Endocrinologist
Question
hi. i have a benign thyroid nodule in the left side of my thyroid (it developed about 6 years ago) and last year i got hashimoto's thyroidits ( i believe that's what it was ) but unfortunatley all my blood tests for thyroid turned normal in my family doctor's office and when i went to an endocrinologist it was 4 months after i had started feeling it's symptoms and he said it was too late for chemical lab tests and that it might balance out. shortly after that appoinment it started balancing out but it caused other problems like edema legs, dehydratrion and etc. i'm not having problems with my thyroid right now other than the benign nodule that i've in it. how can i get rid of this benign nodule? i have a feeling if i get rid of this all my health problems will go away.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
It is reassuring to note that an endocrinologist has already evaluated you for this. I would second the opinion that if the thyroid blood tests are fine then it is extremely unlikely that any of your symptoms are related to the thyroid. The nodule is a structural thing and cannot cause the type of symptoms you are reporting. If it grows then it may cause some pressure symptoms in the neck. I see you were told it's benign. Did you have a biopsy? Even if you did not, the vast majority of such nodules are benign. General information about thyroid is available on WWW.WWWW.WW And specifically regarding thyroid nodules you can read on WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had hashimoto's thyroiditis. Blood test normal. Have a benign thyroid nodule. How to get rid of this? 29 minutes later
i'm pretty sure that was thyroiditis. it was fluctuating between hyperactivitiy and hypoactivity every 2 weeks. it was followed by a yeast infection that i had on my thyroid. later i was told that only candida infections can cause sucha thyroid disease. no i didn't have a biopsy. my family doctor requests a thyroid ultrasound for me once a year and it's been stable (hasn't got bigger) but last year i went through symptoms of thyroiditis for about 4 months. since then i've been getting sick a lot, eg edema legs,then dehydration, then salt deficiency, then elevated creatinine, then pmdd and now dehydration again. will this eventually stop? will i gain my health back? the endocrinologist that i saw for this had the results of my blood work (my family doctor faxed it to him) and based on those and the history of my enlarged goiter he said it might balance out and decided not to do chemical lab tests.

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 53 minutes later
It is good that nodules aren't growing. Periodic monitoring of blood tests for TSH and free T4 will provide inputs as to whether or not your thyroid function has stabilized

Follow-up: Had hashimoto's thyroiditis. Blood test normal. Have a benign thyroid nodule. How to get rid of this? 3 minutes later
u mean i have to ask my family doctor for a blood test for thyroid? i was at the emergency room last night cause i wasn't feeling well. the doctor checked my tsh levels along with some other things and she found nothing. however after i told her that i had thyroiditis last year and that it balanced out on its own without medication cause we were unable to diagnos it on time (by the time i went to an endocrinologist it was too late for chemical lab tests and it balanced out shortly after that appointment) that my thyroid would get hypoactive in the future that's why she checked my tsh levels. however it turned normal. but i just read on the net that tsh isn't always a good indicator of a hypoactive thyroid meaning that a thyroid might be hypoactive but while tsh levels are normal. how can i find out if my thyroid is hypoactive or not? i have fibromylagia and i just found read on the net that it could be related to a hypoactive thyroid. something like that. so how can i find out if my thyroid is hypoactive or not? thanks bye

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 42 hours later
If your TSH and free T4 are in the normal range then it is most unlikely that there is anything wrong with your thyroid function. However rechecking it in 3-6 months may give you a better idea if the thyroid status continues to remain stable in the normal range

Follow-up: Had hashimoto's thyroiditis. Blood test normal. Have a benign thyroid nodule. How to get rid of this? 2 hours later
well the emergency doctor said that my thyroid might get hypoactive after i told her that i had thyroditis last year and it was left untreated till it balanced out (we couldn't diagnose it on time). that's why she tested my tsh at the er and she said it was normal. however i just read that tsh is merely an indicator of a hypoactive thyroid. u are still sure that my thyroid isn't hypoactive at the moment?

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 14 hours later
From the descriptions you have provided on this platform it seems to me that your thyroid is functioning fine. However endocrinology is a complex science and a personal assessment by an endocrinologist may be necessary to establish normalcy of the thyroid