Had gastric bypass surgery, repair of hiatal hernia. Difficulty in swallowing. What could be the reason?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I had gastric bypass surgery 5/31, the Sleeve. At the same time, the surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia. I am finding difficulty swallowing now. It feels like even water when I swallow is being restricted going down. I feel like the mesh that was used in the repain is causing the discomfort. Thoughts?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Here is some information I need before I can stamp anything :

1] What was the procedure performed for repair of Hiatus Hernia ?
2] Which Mesh was used ?
3] What was the condition of lower oesophagus before surgery?
4] With Chronic Renal Disease Stage-3 What was the need to go for Sleeve Gastectomy & Hiatus Hernia Repair ?
5] When did these symptoms of difficulty in swallowing start ? I mean was this present after surgery or it is of recent origin?

Get back to me with this information & I would be able to help you better
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Had gastric bypass surgery, repair of hiatal hernia. Difficulty in swallowing. What could be the reason? 2 hours later
1. the repair of the hernia was included in the surgery to perform the stomach bypass.
2. yes, mesh was used.
3. there was a hole.
4. obesity
5. after surgery, there was a slight difficulty but in the last few days, it has become more difficult to swallow and I can feel an irriation.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for the information

Considering the fact that the surgery was done around a month back and there were no major issues earlier

I would suggest you see your operating surgeon and if need be go for an Upper GI Endoscopy to rule out lower oesophageal pathology

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon