Ask a Urologist   »  

Had gall bladder removed. Having pain under rib cage and back. Having vaginal discharge darker and heavier than normal. Help?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I had my gall bladder out in Dec. I have been having pain on my left side under my rib cage when I eat a meal and it radiates into my back under the rib cage. It is similar to the pain I had with gallstone attacks only it is on the left side. Any ideas what this could be. It is quite unpleasant but it does eventually pass, only to come back later. I have also been having vaginal discharge that is a bit darker and heavier than normal.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 50 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

There are few possible causes of your symptoms. First one is gastritis or stomach ulcer which cause pain in this area that is aggravated by certain meal(coffee, alcohol, spicy food) .

Secondly, it can be pancreatitis or other pancreas disorder especially if pain is experienced after alcohol or fatty food.

Third, it can be complication of your surgical procedures because there can be excessive formation abdominal adhesions which can press surrounding organs.

Also, there is a condition called postcholecystectomy syndrome but it is rarely found after laparoscopic surgery.

So, I think this is caused by some of these 3. You are too young for some more serious diagnoses.
You should do gastroscopy, abdominal ultrasound and basic blood test(including amylase and lipase levels) first. This would clear many things.

Till you do these tests, you should change dietary habits.

Such symptoms are usually aggravated after meal, long sitting, leaning forward, stress and anxiety.
You should avoid alcohol, coffee, smoking, fats and fast food, carbonated drinks and eat more milk and milk products, fruit and vegetables, boiled food and natural beverages and teas. 1 hour after meal you should not sit or lay. Also lay with elevated upper body. If you are overweight you should lose weight and do exercise.

There are certain medicines but it should be used when right diagnosis is established.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.