Had full hysterectomy. Prescribed demerol. Suffer pain. Took morphine. Should I see doctor?

HI - I had a full hysterectomy 6 weeks ago - I have a few concerns. First being - right after surgery I was given 50mg of demerol for pain every 4 hours which did nothing to cut the pain. All I could find on demerol was that 50 mg was the minimum dose. Considering I had a complete hysterectomy -it seems very low - I was in pain distress for 18 hours until the next morning when I was switched to morphine which was a big help. Since this was major surgery, do I have grounds to complain to the hospital? At the time, I was about 148 lbs, 5 ft 3 1/2.
Secondly, I had my 6 week follow up today - I was told there were at least 6 fibroids, numerous cysts and endometriosis (which I was aware of from my 20s). I'm concerned about whether my bladder has been prolapsed and what to do about it. With all the info I received today - I forgot to ask her -should I go back to her or my GP?
That's it for the moment - I hope the swelling and pain abates with time. I assume I can now lift heavy objects within reason - the pain is mostly tenderness on my abdomen.

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Demerol 50mg is good for moderate to severe pain

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I can understand your concerns, Demerol is Meperidine, which is a narcotic analgesic, it is given for moderate to severe pain, and after hysterectomy for initial few days we can expect severe pain and Meperidine is a wonderful drug for the pain relief, and the dose ranges between 50-150mg/day. Usually it is started in low dose and rarely it is increased, main reason due to its addictive nature. As you were not responding to meperidine, your doctor has rightly switched over to Morphine. I am sorry that you were in pain for such a long time. And regarding complaining to the hospital you can always do that.
Secondly regarding your bladder prolapse, if Cystocoele is diagnosed preoperative the management depends on the degree os prolapse, if it is minimal then it can be left untreated, if it is moderate to severe degree then it needs correction. As you have not mentioned the ROUTE of surgery i.e abdominal or vaginal or laparoscopic hysterectomy, its difficult to predict anything about the bladder prolapse and its repair. Hence i advise you to ask your doctor how much was the prolapse and what is done for it?.
Swelling and pain will take some time to get relieved completely. I usually advise my patients to take calcium supplementation, have healthy diet XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits, moderate exercise, no heavy lifting of weight till 6 months.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile