Had frequent abdominal irritation with irregular bowel movements. Ulcers shown in colonoscopy. Should I be worried about the findings?

General Surgeon
Question
hi Sir.
i am a 26 year old male. over the last one year period i have had frequent abdominal irritation with irregular bowel movements(not very often). All the tests (including blood, stool, usg) were normal. Finally doc advised for colonoscopy and it revealed two tiny ulcers at the terminal ileum. I did a lot of research over the internet and related my symptoms to that of Chron's disease and was tensed. Received the biopsy report yesterday. Had a meeting with the doctor and he told me the findings in the report is absolutely normal and nothing to worry about and it is not Chron's at all. He also told me for some people, ulcers can be of no apparent reason and mine is such a case. Here is the findings in the biopsy report
1. sections show pieces of ileal mucosa with intact villi and crypts. Lamina propria shows infiltration by lymphocytes, plasma cells and several eosinophils
2. sections show pieces of colonic mucosa with intact surface epithelium and crypts. Goblet cells are adequate. Lamina propria shows infiltration by lymphocytes, plasma cells and several eosinophils
3. sections show pieces of rectal mucosa with intact surface epithelium and crypts. Goblet cells are adequate. Lamina propria shows normal cellularity
IMPRESSION:-
1,2-biopsies from ileum and caecum showing eosinophilic infiltration
3-biopsy from rectum showing no significant pathology
Doctor advised for
tab. Amitriptyline 10 mg 0-0-1
livoluk fibre 2 tea spoon
When i asked him for medicines to heal the ulcers he said these two will do.
Can i be rest assured that the findings are normal and there is nothing serious? Do i need to take any other medicines? I am worried

regards
XXXX
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
All ulcers in the ileum are not crohn's

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your query,your routine investigations are normal.
In india,typhoid and tuberculosis will produce ulcers in the terminal ileum.
In the biopsy,TB is excluded.
Typhoid ulcers are difficult to diagnose.
As your doctor said,the ulcers are non specific.
Eat high fiber diet and fruits.
Nothing to worry.
I will prescribe an antibiotic like Cefpodoxime/Balofloxacin to my patients with similar complaints.
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Had frequent abdominal irritation with irregular bowel movements. Ulcers shown in colonoscopy. Should I be worried about the findings? 23 hours later
hi Doc,

thanks for the reply. So how are these non specific ulcers healed? do they heal automatically over time? in my case are those two prescribed medicines (tab. Amitriptyline 10 mg 0-0-1, livoluk fibre 2 tea spoon) enough to heal the ulcers at the terminal ileum?? My doctor told me those two will do. But i am confused....

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They heal in course of time

Detailed Answer:
hi
These non specific ulcers will heal automatically in course of time.
Livoluk will soften the stools and minimises trauma to the gut,there by leading to healing of ulcers.
Nothing to worry