Had flu, phlegm in chest, runny nose, headache, muscle pain, enlarged lymph node. Rice grain popping out of skin. Is it a lymph node?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I had a very bad case of flu for 2 weeks and my chest still has phlegm and there is still a little running nose. Had been having headaches for the past 3 nights. Last Monday, i felt a muscular pain in the inner thigh and then i checked and saw that it was a enlarged lymph node towards e lower part of the right groin. There is just one and i think its a lymph node cos its popping out and has a circular shape,like a small shrimp exactly e same.

However, now the pain has gone but that thing now looks like a rice grain that is popping out into the skin, it has the texture of a skin stretch XXXXXXX

could that be a lymph node? or something else as some say lymph nodes dont pop up like that? pls advise doc thanks

Also, my ear stud had e clip stuck in my ear lobe and i took that out last night and there was a little blood but that part of the ear hurts when i touch it now. But that is my left ear.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

What I gather from you history is that you had a painful swelling in the right groin two days back - the size of the same and the condition of skin over it - Not Mentioned [ Does this pop up on standing- straining - or Coughing ?]

And two days later the swelling has shrunken to the size of a rice grain

I am of the opinion that this would have been a small boil which has regressed under the effect of antibiotics you might have been receiving for your respiratory infections

The chances that it would be a lymph node are very remote as you do not have any history related to injury or infection in the lower limb - the area drained in to groin lymph nodes

Well it has nothing to do with the ear injury - you may take a regular pain killer to control the same

Hope this helps

If you have any query get back to me with the condition of the skin over the swelling or if you have a image of the same - or the image of the present condition

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Had flu, phlegm in chest, runny nose, headache, muscle pain, enlarged lymph node. Rice grain popping out of skin. Is it a lymph node? 7 hours later
thanks for the reply doc.

no i did not take any antibiotics for the flu. its not a boil i think.

its just there- and it cant be rolled as well. but based on the pic- are there lymph nodes on that part of the body? and yeah i dont have any pain or infections in the right leg or penis etc.

pls advise.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup

I have had a look at the image

The area that you have pointed and the appearance of the swelling is suggestive of a small infected cyst, usually we do not find lymph nodes in this area nor do they look like the one in the picture

It appears to be a cyst [May be infected]

Antibiotic will help control the infection

But it may need to be removed surgically

Hope this helps
If you have no more doubts do accept my reply and rate it
Get well Soon

Follow-up: Had flu, phlegm in chest, runny nose, headache, muscle pain, enlarged lymph node. Rice grain popping out of skin. Is it a lymph node? 48 minutes later
thanks for your reply sir. oh so that area has no lymph nodes?

yeah its smaller now- i was doing some kinda massage where i was rubbing that "node thing" and there was no pain at all,not even the slightest. it got smaller after that though.

couple of questions doc:

1.if its a node- will it hurt for sure if i press very tightly on it and massage that area?
2.from the pic- there are no nodes in the area?
3.if it remains this way for eg the next 3 months and it does not grow neither does it give me pain- can i ignore it?
4. cld it be a vein that has popped up?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your query
I can understand your anxiety

Unless I examine you clinically I won't be able to stamp it

Yes it cannot be a lymphnode as superficial in this area

There are lymph nodes there but not as seen in image

Your history of massage also favors a cyst

Lymph node if infected will pain

Nothing to worry if it remains there and stable

No it cannot be a vein

Best is go for an ultrasound

Hope this helps
Get well soon