Had first IUI done. Had low sperm count, prescribed Fertile and diagnosed with hydrocil. Suggest?

Question
Hi Doc my husband and I had our first IUI done on 11July2013. His count was very low just 3million, the doctors have told us that the success of the procedure in our case is very low cos of the count. My husband has now been prescribed Fertile M 25mg twice a day. He has also been diagnosed with hydrocil. After completing the course of this medicine what are the chance of his count increasing??
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I can understand your problem. Fertil M will help to increase the sperm count, along with that your husband needs antioxidants, fresh vegetables especially tomatoes and multivitamin tablets to increase the sperm motility. I even suggest your husband to see a urologist, whether to go ahead with hydrocoele surgery, usually it depends on the physical examination and grade of hydrocoele.
Ya I do agree with your doctor regarding the success of IUI in your case with so low sperm count. But still there is hope, kindly repeat the semen analysis after 2 months, there is chance of improvement in sperm count & motility.
If nothing works out, last resort will be to go ahead with ICSI(intra cytoplasmin sperm injection) and embryo transfer. Again the chances of pregnancy will be 40%.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had first IUI done. Had low sperm count, prescribed Fertile and diagnosed with hydrocil. Suggest? 12 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor for ur reply, I also wanted to add tat my husband has a constant cold and runny nose could tat be contributing to his low sprem count?? Also wud it b advisable for me to tk a home pregnancy test rite nw or is it too early. Our doc has asked us to wait for a month before we retry IUI wud it b rite??or wud it b just a waste of tym?? And we need to start thinking of IVF??

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
Cold and runny nose does not cause low sperm count.
Its too early to do home pregnancy test. Kindly don't get too anxious.
I personally feel, your husband needs a Urologist/Andrologist opinion, then decide about surgery for hydrocoele. I suggest to repeat the semen analysis after 2 months or as advised by urologist.
If the repeated IUI fails, then only you can think of IVF. I still feel there is hope for getting pregnant with IUI, as we usually straight away go with IVF if the sperm count is less than 2million. All the best. Wish you good health and early pregnancy.
If you do not have any clarification you can close the discussion and rate & review my answer.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW