Had diabetes and hashimoto. Had duphaston for heavy periods. Having irregular periods, TSH and MAT antibodies. Reason?

Mar 2013
I have had diabetes type 1 and hashimoto's. I have taken duphaston due to heavy periods and for the first two years everything was ok but now i have irregular periods - I have either spotting after I stop duphaston on day 25 or my period comes on day 14 or when it comes it doesn;t stop . The hashimoto's disease is treated. My TSH is 2.2 and the diabetes is also under control. What could be the reason for the irregular periods?
I also have MAT antibodies > 600
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
You could be suffering from a variety of conditions.
The first is AUB or abnormal uterine bleeding, wherein there is no identifiable cause, however there is persistenly abnormal menstrual bleeding.
Another reason could be endometrial hyperplasia, where due to hormonal imbalance, the lining of the uterus thickens and fails to shed off without hormonal support.
Poycystic ovaries could lead to such abnormal bleeding pattern.
Ovarian cysts, adenomyosis ( enlargement of the uterus ), are other causes.
Ingestion of hormonal medications could cause such bleeding.
I would recommend consultation with a Gynecologist, and detailed hormonal evaluation, along with pelvic transvaginal ultrasound.
An endometrial biopsy and hysteroscopy would be required if examination indicates.

Take care and feel free to ask further questions.