Ask a Dentist   »  

Had dental filling done. Getting pressure in maxilla area. Chances of having gum infection?

I had dental fillings done last week. I now have pressure in the front maxilla area -my front teeth/ feels like there is not enough room in my mouth for the teeth, there is a pressure that makes not want to bite down with my front teeth. This has happened at least the last 2 times following fillings and lasts for months. first time I remember this happening was about 14 years ago, though I may have had a similar case when I was in my early twenties...a root canal was then performed because the dentist felt the original root canal did not go right to the end (my front tooth is crown, original was knocked out when I was 12), this didn't help so they suggested a gum infection and further gum infection found at that time... situation resolved itself after several months and this has been the pattern since
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 1 hour later

From the details you have mentioned, it’s clear that your front teeth and gums are periodontally compromised as you had already undergone gum surgery due to infection.

Chance of re-infection is high since your front tooth is replaced with crown.

Now, the feeling of pressure in the front teeth/gums may be due to overfilling /overextension of dental fillings placed.

I would suggest you to-

Maintain good oral hygiene.
Use interdental soft toothbrush to clean your teeth.
Plenty of vitamin-c XXXXXXX diet supplements like citrus fruits-lemon, oranges have to be taken to enhance gum health.
Apply gum tone gel and massage your gums for pressure relief.
Please avoid biting hard foods using the recently filled teeth.
PLEASE TAKE PLENTY of fluids and nutritious XXXXXXX food.

Please do visit your dentist and get a deep scaling done.
An x-ray of the recently filled teeth/root canal treated/crown placed will help to evaluate cause of disease.

The overextended filling has to be corrected and smoothened, also check for its high points for proper occlusion. Periapical /pulp infection has to be corrected if associated with the filled teeth.

Crown has to be replaced if fractured/if there is gum infection, gum surgery has to be repeated-Please keep the crown placed area clean always without food lodgment.

Also get your blood sugar levels checked to rule out the chance of diabetes.

Please do monitor your menstrual bleeding level-If BLEEDING is high, it can compromise your gum health.
Please rinse your mouth using chlorhexidine mouthwash to gargle.

Please take complete course of antibiotics-analgesics as per dentist's prescription.

Hope this helps.

I will be happy to help you, if you have any other concerns.