What is the cause for large lump underneath my chin?

General Surgeon
I have a lump underneath my chin, on my right hand size. About the size of a large gumball. I just noticed this last week. I thought it would go away, but it seems to be getting larger. It is hard, but I do not feel any pain. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Enlarged lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. A lump underneath a chin is most likely a lymph node which for some reason has gotten enlarged. Most common reason of such issue is an infection in the neighborhood of this lump. It can be tooth infection, throat infection, salivary glad infection. You should also have a pain in mentioned areas and fever might be present. If there is no signs of infection, other, less possible reasons should be considered including lymphoma or even throat or larynx cancer(cancer is possible if you smoke). Some lymphoma symptoms are weakness, night sweating, shortness of breath. I suggest you to visit your doctor and get it examined. Laryngologist consult might be necessary and hematologist (in case of lymphoma possibility). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.